Saturday, March 23, 2013

Riding: Week of the 17th

Monday - I rode Pico in my lesson, which was an interesting experience! He was a pretty good boy until he started getting tired and didn't want to participate any more. Then we got some "airs above the ground" that gave me my adrenaline rush for the day! Overall, we just worked on getting him to stretch and relax at the walk, trot, and canter. I did some shoulder-in and haunches-in at the walk and trot to see if I could get him more supple, especially because he wanted to be stiff and hang on the right rein. I think it was a good learning experience for me, and it made me more confident that I can handle some of the antics that future horses might pull!
Thursday - I went to the barn with Rita in the morning and rode Asti. I could feel that he was still a little stiff from his spring shots, especially to the left. He seemed a bit resistant to bending that way, so I didn't push it and instead let him stay relatively straight and played with a little counter-bending just to make sure he was still soft. We did a bunch of lateral movements at the walk and trot, and we did just a little bit of canter because he was starting to get tired and I didn't want him getting all sweaty. For the first canter depart in each direction, he did the "scooby-doo" thing that Bryn talks about, which was pretty funny because he's such a little guy. Afterwards, he settled right into the canter and we worked on a few transitions and 20 meter circles before ending the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment